It’s been a long time since the last update again, but this time it’s another big one! So big in fact, that we had to include a table of contents:
– What is Stremio Web and how to use it
– Android TV v1.5.8 Release
– Stremio Desktop v4.4.160 Release
What is Stremio Web and how to use it
We are very happy to announce the official release of Stremio Web!
We have been working on this project for many years, and we would like to thank all those in the community that joined us in building it.
When using it without the companion app (and thus with the server disconnected), Stremio Web will be able to play only browser supported sources, this means that it does not support all video/audio decoders and that it cannot play torrents.
When the companion app is connected, you will be able to use a fully featured Stremio app in your browser.
If you wish to know how to install and use Stremio Web along with Stremio Service, you can read about that in this article.
Many users have also chosen to use Stremio Web (without the companion app) on iPhone and iPad, for a more feature rich experience compared to the Stremio Organizer app that is available in the App Store. If you wish to learn how to use Stremio Web on iPhone / iPad in this way, there is an article available for that.
It should also be noted that Stremio Desktop also runs its own service, and can be used instead of the Stremio Service app to act as a companion app for Stremio Web. This means that if you have Stremio Desktop installed and running, you can also use Stremio Web to its full capacity on the same device without needing to install Stremio Service too.
And for those that are tech savy, we also created a docker version of Stremio Service.
Stremio Web and Stremio Service are both fully open source projects, and can be found on the following github pages:
Android TV v1.5.8 Release
The following changes have been made to the Android TV app in this release:
- Sync user info (library and addons) on activity start
- Fix search suggestions
- Disable playback speed adjustment for ExoPlayer when audio is in passthrough mode
- Color picker now allows changing transparency for subtitles color options
- Allow moving app to external storage
- Add frame rate matching setting
- Do not save subtitle/audio delay when switching to next binge video
- Clear subtitle/audio delay when changing tracks
- Add addon management screen
- Refresh context menu state when adding/removing meta from library via context menu in board/discover
- Make the Discover filters more closely resemble a button
- Add an option to show network stats while loading compatible streams
- More accurate load progress
- Retrieve and propagate video hash to subtitle addons
- Update ExoPlayer
- Update translations
- Various small bug fixes
The Android TV app should auto-update for all devices that have Google Play, for the others, you will probably need to sideload the app again. The website download page may be cached for the next 24h, within this time you should use this link for an updated version with the new downloads.
Stremio Desktop v4.4.160 Release
The following changes have been made to the Desktop app in this release:
- Fix local addon catalog update
- Allow installing protected addons
- Configurable max volume up to 200%
- Added pop-out button that opens Stremio Web in the browser
- Better subtitles sanitization
- Updated official addons to add 2023 for guest accounts
- Added warning for when the local addon is missing
- Updated translations
- Various small bug fixes
The app will update for all users within the next 48h. The website download page may be cached for the next 24h, within this time you should use this link for an updated version with the new downloads.
Stay tuned as we have many surprises planned for our users!
If you have any questions or comments about Stremio, feel free to ask them on one of our social channels:
Official Stremio Reddit – reddit.com/r/Stremio
Stremio Helpdesk – stremio.zendesk.com
Stremio Facebook – facebook.com/stremio
Stremio Twitter – twitter.com/stremio/
You may also enjoy chatting on the unofficial community of Stremio users:
Unofficial Stremio Addons Reddit – reddit.com/r/StremioAddons